A replica of the Cross of Cong has been stolen from the Sacred Heart Church in Roscommon town. If anyone has any information please contact the Gardaí in Roscommon on 090 663 8300. Please see photo below
The Cross of Cong was made in 1123 to encase a fragment of the True Cross that was brought to Ireland and displayed in different places around the country. The cross is so-called because it was kept in the Augustinian Friary at Cong, County Mayo, for centuries, however it was made in Roscommon. The original Cross is in the National Museum of Ireland, Kildare Street, Dublin.